The Royal National Lifeboat Institution opened the Invergordon Lifeboat Station during the summer of 1974, as part of its policy to provide more intensive Lifeboat coverage of the North East Coast of Scotland.
Prior to havinga lifeboat station in Invergordon, the Cromarty lifeboat station which opened in 1911 and closed in 1968 covered the area. Between 1875 and 1911 a lifeboat stationed at Nairn also covered the inner Moray Firth area.
There is a strong commitment to achieve this aim and the crew receive admirable support from both family and employers to provide this service to the Lifeboat and the community.
Local companies which recently received letters of gratitude and appreciation from the RNLI for permitting employees to be released from their place of work for the humanitarian task of saving lives at sea were;
- Alness and Invergordon Medical Practice
- Cromarty Firth Port Authority
- J.P.Knight Caledonian Ltd
- Skretting Ltd
- Talisman Energy
- Whyte and Mackay Invergordon Distillery
For more information on the station, lifeboat and crew visit our website: www.invergordonlifeboat.org.uk
RNLI website: - www.rnli.org.uk